|CANADIAN VERSION OF THE BRITISH RED ENSIGN, A BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLE, 1873-1905
|Frame Size (H x L):||Approx. 26" x 39"|
|Flag Size (H x L):||15.75" x 29"|
|Canadian version parade flag, printed on cotton, in the design used between 1873 and 1905. This was one of the earliest versions of the basic design flown in Canada following the Canadian Confederation of 1867. In this year the British Red Ensign was unofficially adopted and modified, applying a crest in the red field consisting of the arms of the four British colonies of Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, surrounded by a ring of maple leaves. The Canadian Red Ensign changed over time. As each respective province was added, the emblem of that province was--at least theoretically--added to the crest. While the Northwest Territories were added in 1870, no emblem signified them until 1957. So the provincial badges appear on this particular flag as follows, starting at the top, right-to-left: Ontario (1867), Quebec (1867), Nova Scotia (1867), New Brunswick (1867), Manitoba (1870), British Columbia (1871), and Prince Edward Island (1873). Because the crest, formally referred to as the "composite shield" excludes Saskatchewan (1905) and Alberta (1905), the flag pre-dates their addition. After this time, as many as 9 provincial badges could be seen on the Canadian Red Ensign, which had been officially approved by the British Admiralty for use at sea in 1892. The composite shield was replaced with the coat of arms of Canada upon its grant in 1921 and, in 1924, an Order in Council approved its use for Canadian government buildings abroad. The composite shield was replaced with the coat of arms of Canada in 1921 and, in 1924, was approved for use on Canadian government buildings abroad. Various changes were proposed afterwards, but a Canadian national flag was not officially adopted until Queen Elizabeth II (of Canada) proclaimed the present maple leaf design on January 28, 1965 and it was officially inaugurated on February 15th of that year.
Mounting: The flag has been hand-stitched to a background of 100% cotton twill, black in color, that was washed to reduce excess dye. An acid-free agent was added to the wash to further set the dye and the fabric was heat-treated for the same purpose. The mount was then placed in a black-painted, hand-gilded and distressed Italian molding. The glazing is U.V. protective plexiglass.
Condition: There are no significant condition issues.
|Collector Level:||Intermediate-Level Collectors and Special Gifts|
|Flag Type:||Parade flag|
|Earliest Date of Origin:||1873|
|Latest Date of Origin:||1905|
|Price:||Please call (717) 676-0545 or (717) 502-1281|